This is what I've been looking for...

New to Outstanding Poker? Introduce yourself to the community with a quick post here surrounding your background and where you're at with your poker game!

This is what I've been looking for...

Postby animal » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Hey everyone, I just found the site this afternoon. I'd done trial memberships on most of the other big training sites, but none of them convinced me they were really worth joining. The content on most sites seems too scattered, with no real defined training plan. Hearing someone's stream of consciousness commentary while four tabling just wasn't improving my game. It looks like this site figured that out the problems with the other sites and fixed them.

I've played live limit hold 'em for years as a hobby, but decided to start getting more serious about my Internet game earlier this year. I learned to play heads up SNGs and am up about $700 playing $10 and $20 games with some really wild swings, but I am starting to realize that even if you play solid at those levels, the variance is wicked, and the higher you go the more solid the competition is. I could be wrong but I think there is more money to be made on a per hour basis at NL six max.

Anyway, I am glad to have found this site before I committed to another one, and am looking forward to working through the videos and articles.

I was about to buy Holdem manager, but I saw from the info on the first series of videos that the coaches here seem to use Poker Tracker. Does it really matter which way I go? And are you aware of any discounts for either of the two that don't require signing up at a different training site?

Thanks,

Animal
animal

Re: This is what I've been looking for...

Postby cudaflu » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:48 pm

Hey animal, welcome to the site! The instruction you'll receive is top notch and I'm sure it will help your game. Whether you decide to continue with your heads up SnG's or go to 6max NL there will be training videos to help you.

As far as I know, most if not all of the coaches now use holdem manager over poker tracker and say that they prefer it. Not sure about any discount offers though.

Good luck at the tables!
cudaflu

Postby atta22 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:20 am

Hi Animal,

Welcome aboard - looking forward to hearing about how your game progresses.

In terms of which software to use - I would definitely recommend Holdem Manager. Some of the earlier videos were recorded before HEM became well known. But HEM is definitely the premiere tracking software these days. Unfortunately we don't have any discounts for it at the moment. We're hoping to work out a deal with them in the near future, although there's nothing right now.

Cheers!
Tim/atta22
atta22
Outstanding Poker Lead Pro

Postby animal » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:53 pm

Thank you for the welcome, cudaflu and atta22! I look forward to corresponding with you more as I progress through the program.
animal

Postby hockeyguy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:29 am

i ditto what you said above,
i hope it helps you as much as it helps me
welcome and good luck

hockeyguy
hockeyguy
Outstanding Poker Pro

Postby cliff48 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:49 pm

Welcome to the site.
cliff48

Postby johanw » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:39 am

Welcome!
johanw

Postby aacesup » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:58 am

animal wrote:The content on most sites seems too scattered, with no real defined training plan. Hearing someone's stream of consciousness commentary while four tabling just wasn't improving my game.

QFT

And welcome to the site!
aacesup

Postby animal » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:14 am

Sorry to have disappeared - after my last post, I got absolutely hammered a few days in a row, and lost most of my bankroll. I went back to what I know (low limit heads up) to build my way back up to where I was before being beat down. I really prefer doing that to depositing more money to replace losses.

The reason I got hammered so badly was a combination of bad beats and tilt which lead to even more tilt with some more bad beats thrown in. Looking back I see that my play was horrendous - I started calling lots of bets from the blinds with mediocre hands, and got stacked more times than I care to admit holding top-pair weak-kicker type hands.

I seriously want to learn no-limit 6 max and full ring, so I am now back to hit it again. I do NOT plan on making the same mistake I made last time over again...
animal

Return to New Member Introductions