Playing without Software?

This is the forum for poker strategy, training and hand history analysis, to general chatter and new member introductions.

Playing without Software?

Postby tehdood » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:01 pm

I've been playing on Betonline since I am in the US and I have VERY few sites to choose from. As far as I know at the time of this posting the only place that supports software is cake and their traffic is only around 2k players. I like the soft competition at Betonline however I am having trouble taking away strategy from all these videos since everyone seems to be analyzing players off HUD stats that I do not have access to.

Are there any other videos that don't do this where I can learn to read people w/o stats or should I switch to Cake and use software there?
tehdood

Re: Playing without Software?

Postby cliff48 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:09 pm

The Merge network accepts US players and allows software. :D
cliff48

Postby emitnulb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:15 pm

Yeah dude, Merge is the way to go.
emitnulb

Postby tehdood » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:26 pm

emitnulb wrote:Yeah dude, Merge is the way to go.

Any recommended sites for merge? I've used Lockpoker, it was ok. I don't think I've ever been on carbon so I may look into that one for bonus.
tehdood

Postby hockeyguy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:08 am

i think playing w/o stats is not much of a problem after you have had a chance to apply the concepts using stats to easily identify different players types. The stats make it much easier to focus on learning effective strategy against various opponent types w/o spending energy (and less accurate info) on identifying opponent style. Once you have a good feel for effective strategies and have seen what the different styles look like using stats program it is not difficult to play w/o stats at same stake level. Although taking notes can be a great aid w/ or w/o stats and of course it is always better to have more information so all things being equal your win rate will benefit from playing at a site that is stats compatible

as to carbon
i played a fair amout there
sometimes it is as loose as any where else, but it can also be screwed down very tight at any level up through 100nl
Strangely the consistently tightest games i have ever played were 5nl at carbon when i was trying to make a few videos. I actually has to give up on the videos as i could never find a typical loose game at carbon 5nl whch was very sstrange

gl hg
hockeyguy
Outstanding Poker Pro

Postby emitnulb » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:55 am

tehdood wrote:
emitnulb wrote:Yeah dude, Merge is the way to go.

Any recommended sites for merge? I've used Lockpoker, it was ok. I don't think I've ever been on carbon so I may look into that one for bonus.

Well they are all the same player pool and as far as I know pretty much all of the VIP programs are the similar.
emitnulb

Postby cudaflu » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:41 pm

I played with stats for 1.5 years before bodog went anonymous so I moved to Intertops/Cake network where my HEM hud doesn't work.

It took a little bit to adjust but after 2-3k hands I felt pretty comfortable 6-8 tabling without a hud. Mind you it was only 4nl, and now 4-10plo, but still.

It is nice to have a graph and session tracker to see how you are doing, but for me stats aren't a necessity anymore.

As for Merge skins, I've heard the most good things about Lock as of late and have a friend who has had no issue with the site since moving.

glgl.
cudaflu

Return to General Chat - Poker Strategy and Training